Daily Current Affairs Compilation for various Banking/Insurance/ SSC Exams -8.2.2018
- GST rate on admission to amusement parks and ballet etc, reduced from 28% to 18% the GST Council had recommended reduction of GST rate on services by way of admission to Amusement Parks including theme parks, water parks, joy rides, merry-go-rounds, go-carting and ballet from 28% to 18%. These services hitherto attracted GST @ 28%.
- Cabinet Approves PMRF Scheme The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the implementation of the ‘Prime Minister’s Research Fellows’ (PMRF) scheme with an outlay of Rs 1,650 crore for seven years beginning 2018-19.
- 881 km of rail network to be electrified The Union Budget for fiscal 2018-19 has proposed electrification of 881 km of rail network in WB at a proposed cost of ₹771.54 cr. The project will be undertaken in seven zones of West Bengal, under the jurisdiction of Kolkata-based Eastern Railway, South Eastern Railway & Maligaon-based North Frontier Railway.
- International plastics exhibition inaugurated in Gujarat’s Gandhinagar The 10th edition of an international plastics exhibition, PlastIndia, began in Gujarat capital Gandhinagar. The six-day expo-cum-conference hopes to garner a business of around Rs 5,500 crore as buyers and sellers from around 28 countries meet at the event.
- Bermuda becomes first country in world to repeal same-sex marriage in what critics have called an unprecedented rollback of civil rights by the British island territory
- Dubai Retains Rank As World’s Busiest International Airport Dubai International Airport has held on to its No 1 ranking as the world’s busiest airport for international travel, after seeing some 88.2 million passengers in 2017.
business & economy
- RBI To Link Base Rate With MCLR The Reserve Bank will link the base rate for loans given by banks to the MCLR starting April 1, 2018 i.e. from the new financial year. It has been decided to harmonize the methodology of determining benchmark rates by linking base rate to MCLR as it is more sensitive to policy rate signals.
- TVS Motor, Intel tie up for green scooter TVS Motor Company Ltd., unveiled ‘futuristic’ scooter and motorcycles to transform future mobility using alternative fuel. It included electric scooter, ethanol-powered Apache motorbike and cruiser motorcycle. To reduce the carbon footprint, TVS showcased ethanol-powered TVS Apache RTR 200 Fi Ethanol. The use of ethanol will reduce the dependence on import of petroleum products.