Daily Current Affairs Compilation for various Banking/Insurance/ SSC Exams – 3.2.2018 & 4.2.2018
- PM Modi to inaugurate Global Investors’ Summit in Guwahati, Assam, a first of its kind initiative in the northeast. The two-day event, started on 3rd Feb, will showcase the state’s manufacturing opportunities and geostrategic advantages to foreign and domestic investors.
- Country’s first def industrial corridor to link Chennai with Bengaluru According to Union Budget 2018-19, the government will develop two defence industrial production corridors. Defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced that the first corridor will link Chennai and Bengaluru and will pass through Coimbatore and several other industrial clusters.
- Oil tanker with 22 Indians goes missing An oil tanker with 22 Indian sailors on board is reported missing off the coast of Benin, a west African country for last three days. It is suspected that the MT Marine Express carrying 13,500 tonne of gasoline may have been hijacked by pirates.
- India’s biggest floating island released in Neknampur lake The Floating Treatment Wetland (FTW) was inaugurated on World Wetlands Day (February 2) in Neknampur Lake in Hyderabad to clean and purify the polluted waterbody. Plants planted on FTW can clean the lake by absorbing nitrates and other pollutants in the water.
- Sri Lanka celebrated its 70th Independence Day Sri Lanka celebrated its 70th Independence Day today (4 February 2018). It was on this day in 1948 that Sri Lanka, then Ceylon, gained independence from 133 years of British colonial rule.
- Japan launches micro-satellite rocket The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) launched the world’s smallest rocket with the ability to put a micro-satellite into orbit, following a failed attempt and several postponements over the last year.
business & economy
- CRISIL, SIDBI Launch India’s First MSE Sentiment Index The Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs Shri Arun Jaitley launched CriSidEx. It is India’s first sentiment index for micro and small enterprises ( MSEs) developed jointly by CRISIL & SIDBI.
- Maharashtra has largest share in India’s export and GST base: Economic Survey According to the Economic Survey 2017-18, Maharashtra’s has come out to be one of the largest states in terms of its economic size and prosperity gives it the largest share in India’s exports and the goods and service tax (GST) base.
- India lifts U-19 World Cup trophy for record 4th time They defeated Australia by eight wickets at bay oval at Mount Maunganui in New Zealand. India’s star batsman Manjot Kalra adjudged Man of the Match and Shubman Gill Man of the Series.
- Sindhu loses to Beiwen Zhang in India Open final Star Indian shuttler P. V. Sindhu fell to fifth seeded Beiwen Zhang from the US in the women’s singles final of the $350,000 India Open BWF World Tour Super 500 held in New Delhi.
- Saurav Ghosal becomes the highest-ranked Indian squash player India’s leading squash player, Saurav Ghosal jumped five places to No 14 to become the highest ranked Indian in the latest Professional Squash Association (PSA) rankings released.
- Filmmaker Shyam Benegal gets lifetime achievement award at MIFF The V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award of the Mumbai International Film Festival is for Documentary, Shorts & Animation Films. MIFF 2018 will be conferred upon veteran film maker Shyam Benegal.
- World Cancer Day – Feb 4 World Cancer Day is being observed on 4th February every year to raise awareness about cancer, its treatment and to encourage methods of its prevention. The primary goal of the day is to reduce the illness and related deaths by 2020.
- For 2016 to 2018, the theme for observing World Cancer Day is ‘We Can. I can.’